Bayo Odutola, Managing Principal
Bayo Odutola has over 27 years of experience practicing intellectual property (IP) law. He handles all aspects of IP litigation (opposition, cancellation/expungement proceedings and domain name disputes), prosecution, acquisition, clearance and advice with a particular emphasis on trademarks, copyright, licensing and technology-related issues. He practices and has appeared before the Canadian Trademarks Office, the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal.
Bayo kick-started his legal career at a major global law firm, where he worked on complex litigation matters. Building on these experiences, he launched his own litigation practice, combining his BigLaw exposure with personalized client service. Providing assistance to clients both large and small, he has represented clients from Juno and Academy Award winners to chemical companies, chocolate manufacturers and pizzerias.
Bayo has also negotiated numerous licensing and settlement agreements, ensuring multiple parties can use their IP rights effectively and productively, as well as concluding various trademark and copyright lawsuits well before reaching discovery (or more expensive stages of litigation). Bayo has worked with clients located in Ottawa, Toronto/the GTA, and across the country. He has also served as Canadian counsel to foreign companies seeking to enforce or defend their IP rights in Canada.
He is certified as a specialist in IP (Trademark/Copyright) Law by the Law Society of Ontario and has served on LSO’s Committee for the Certification of Specialists in Intellectual Property Law.
Bayo was also a member of the Federal Judicial Advisory Committee for Ontario – East & North (“FJAC”) from 2019-2023. During his tenure, he assessed all candidates seeking federal judicial appointments (Ontario Superior Court & Federal Courts) and provided recommendations to the Minister of Justice. As a former member of the FJAC, he now volunteers his time on a pro bono basis, providing informational sessions on the judicial appointment process.
- Bar of Ontario, 1996
- Fellow of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Pharmaceutical Trademarks Group (PTMG)
- MARQUES, the Association of European Trade Mark Owners
- European Communities Trademark Association (ECTA)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Ottawa, 2003-2004
- Law Society of Ontario, 1996
- Registered Trademark Agent, 1996
- University of Ottawa, LL.B, 1994
- Université de Lausanne, B.C.L., 1990
- Ranked as a top trademark professional in the World Trademark Review 1000 (2014 and 2015 editions)
- Top Forty under 40 business people by the Ottawa Business Journal